Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

It is 2010. I am going to blog about some of the books that I read this year. If I blogged about every book I read I would not have enough time. lol The book I am currently reading is The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an Electronic Age. I love the irony of blogging about this book. Anyway I am only on chapter 2 so I cannot write too much about it. So far the author, Sven Birkerts, discusses how his students view books over movies or websites. He is concerned that his students have become conditioned to fast paced and thin plots and are not able to decipher the meaning in great works of literature. His students tell him that they do not "get" the works and are not interested in trying to understand literature. Has the next generation become hard wired to only appreciate fast paced media? Will we lose the meaning in our current literature within a few generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment